Thursday 18 August 2011

The big scary bag project

IMG_0930 by fvs317
IMG_0930, a photo by fvs317 on Flickr.

This is the evil project from over a year ago that put me off sewing ever again (well for a year anyway).

It was the lining that did it. I had to unpick it soooo many times and then there was the horror of sewing the internal pocket UPSIDE DOWN arghhh!!!

So I have now dug out the bits I could find and am determined that I will finish it. But to be honest it is still scaring me.

There are two zips grinning menacingly at me with those evil zip teeth. I am very scared about the external pocket and think that the applique may fall apart when I cut the zip hole. Also I have a white zip that I think won't match.

Then there is the strap. I have rescued a strap off an old bag and thiink it may be the easiest approach (although it is blue and doesn't really match).

The only thing of comfort is that I survived the tea cosy project and it is my first 3d sewing project since this bag scared me off.

Watch this space to see if I got over all my (irrational) fears and actually made the dammed thing

2 comments:

  1. I have just found your blog.... so..... welcome to blogland! I hope you enjoy blogging as much as I do and don't forget - bloggers are very friendly and helpful so you can ask for help and advice whenever you like!!

    Happy Sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fiona,
    I saw your question on my blog, and the answer is no, gathering is not hard. You just stitch long running stitches across the top, one at 3/8 seam allowance and the other at 1/4. Then, pull the bottom threads (the long tail) until little pleats form. Not a great description, but I'm sure you could youtube it and see a video.
    Jeanette

    ReplyDelete