Tuesday 16 August 2011

Baby Quilt number 2

IMG_0923 by fvs317
IMG_0923, a photo by fvs317 on Flickr.

Hmm three posts in three days. Perhaps making myself seem more productive than I actually am.

So as promised we have the second quilt that I a made using the proper(ish) equipment and my lovely Quilting Bible book.

Am much happier with this one although still feel that the way I finished it (bagging out) let me down. Also the gingham went a bit weird. First of all I managed to melt it a bit with the iron when I was pressing the seams. This made it shrink slightly and go a weird shape. Also when I washed the completed quilt the gingham went a bit saggy. Is this a problem with gingham? Should I be using only proper quilting fabrics? This was after all only £2.50 a meter (or there abouts).

For the backing I used a cheap fleece blanket from asda and while it was cost effective I don't think it is as nice as proper fleece from the cloth shop. but at £2.50 for an entire blanket vs £6.99 a metre it is sooo much cheaper.

So for the next project I need to be forced into binding the quilt properly (but it looks to tricky) and also to try making proper patchwork blocks...

2 comments:

  1. Binding's not difficult, you just need a quick demo. I'll try to find a link for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable!! I love it. So pretty and simple. Great size for a baby too!

    ReplyDelete