Monday 15 August 2011

Baby quilt- my first ever quilt :)

IMG_0921 by fvs317
IMG_0921, a photo by fvs317 on Flickr.

So for my first foray into the world of patchwork I thought I would make a little baby quilt because it would be a cheap, easy project to start with (ha ha ha). So the cheap thing didn't really work out as I hadn't really thought out how much of each fabric would be required and of course how much wadding I would actually need (a metre of wadding should be more that enough).


My last sewing project had been a bag and I had applied the same methods to quilt making as you would with bag making. For example using a paper template for the squares, cutting with scissors, not being too careful with cutting acurately... Basically it all came out a little messy. I am still quite pleased with the final result although there have been many lessons learned along the way...

...and here's where it got really expensive. I bought the 'Quilter's Bible' by Linda Clements which is fantastic and really so helpful with the most basic of steps, I wish I had had this from the very begining. I also invested in some lovely Fiskars quilting tools which I also wish I had from the start...All certainly helped with quilt number two but more about that next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment